Thursday, January 29, 2009

Helen Keller

The latest adaptation idea: merging the life history of Helen Keller with Helen of Troy. What the fuck do these two chicks have in common? I'll get to that.

Helen Keller: it suddenly occurred to me this morning that any dramatic depictions of Keller are from the point of view of the non-handicapped. Keller is seen as a freakish deformity---a little girl trapped in a silent dark world, etc.---and the movement of the plot involves bringing her into the proverbial light---or, to put it another way, teach her language.

I've read much too much postmodern theory lately (whilst studying for my quals) to swallow that one without gagging.

This is where the Trojan War comes in (apparently): Helen was abducted by Paris because he was "in love" with her, because she was "the most beautiful woman in the world," because her face "could launch a thousand ships," etc.

I'm much too jaded to swallow any of those without gagging.

The Helens move from one world into another and not without violence. Willing or not, good or not, beneficial or not, all depictions of both chicks are much too clean and unchallenged.

I got struck with an image: Helen Keller on stage, pulled at, punched, dragged about, yanked by actors all in black. That for Keller, lacking usual sensory input, it would seem as if her environment was acting upon her.

Discussing this with others today in the annex, I was asked if Helen Keller would either 1) hump someone's leg, or 2) shove food into her vagina. I think it's inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment